Saturday, December 11, 2010

More Good Causes...12/11/10

I was sitting at a chairity fund raiser many years ago with a good friend who said "there are more good causes than my check book can support."  I think those words are more true today than anytime in our history. 

As I write this entry, we just completed our Mercedes Benz of Arrowhead sponsored tournament benefiting One Step Beyond.  It is truly heart warming to see folks from the organization assisting on the course as well as after play during the awards luncheon.  Their genuine appreciation for the event is wonderful and I wish those fo you who participated had the opportunity to talk with several of them on an individual basis.  A great day for golf, friendship and to give away a phenominal trip gifted by Mercedes.

"More good causes than my check book can support."  Now, the rest of the story.  As part of our conversation at the fund raiser, the second part of that statement is "you just have to choose the ones important to you and make a difference."  Many of us have friends, faimily members or even ourselves that are dealing with a hardship, disease or some other form of difficulty.  I have had the opportunity to sit in probably hundreds of meetings with different organizations and hearing amazing stories about things people do to: "beat the odds," raise extrordinary amounts of money with a creative idea, or tell a personal story that leaves a room full of hundreds silent...I mean SILENT! 

I was talking with one of our Members who is the founder and president of Arizona Myeloma Network.  It is a great local organization which was the reason for our conversation.  The local tie is so important to me as it keeps money right here and hopefully benefitiing people in our community who need it.  I am proud of the contributions Arrowhead Country Club gives to local organizations through being the host location for a vast amount of worthy chairities made possible through our Members and the organizations they are passionate about.  We have dozens of private dining events, wine tastings, tennis and golf tournaments each year raising hundreds of thousands each year.   We thank our Members who introduce us to the planning committees so we can lend our expertise to making their events as successful as possible in raising funds for the organizations they are passionate about.  These events are always my favorite as you are providing a great golf, tennis or dining event that the participants enjoy not only because of the day on the course or courts, but because they are also helping others while doing something they enjoy.

I think I will close by saying "choose something you are passionate about and make a difference"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment