Saturday, November 13, 2010

Member Business Knowledge: 11/13/10

In all our daily lives there is a project or projects we truly embrace with passion.  One of those items for me currently is our Member Business to Business Directories "MB2B."

I am surrounded by examples of how this can help each Member dozens, if not more times each day at the Club.  For example, I was in a meeting Wednesday evening with our Cactus Classic Committee (Men's Member Guest Tournament).  In the meeting we had a discussion about fund raising and some of the specialty items we would like to bring to this years tournament.  In that discussion, I and the committee stated our commitment to use Member businesses whenever possible to purchase those items and or services.  The topic of how the cigars and cigar roller were very popular last year.  I informed the committee members (2 of which are cigar smokers...perhaps even avid cigar smokers) that we have a very good Member (since blogs are very public I am not going to give names here) involved in or owns a cigar shop or is in the tobacco industry and we should contact him.  All committee members knew the person I was speaking about but none were aware that was his business.  Amazingly enough, we got to talking about a welcome gift and what it should be: hat, towel, divot tool, customized or personalized item.  As the conversation went on, it turns out one of the people on the committee owns Twenty-Twenty Promotions and no one knew. 

One of the things I think is critical to private club life is the expansion of relationships.  I believe that our single greatest commitment to our Membership is to give them opportunities to enhance their family, personal and professional relationships through quality facilities and programming.  We enhance family and personal relationships by allowing you to play or attend mutually enjoyable sports or activities while the greatest reward is spending time with them.  The same is true professionally, we all want to do business with people we know and trust which only comes through relationship.  Everyone comes here to relax, enjoy time with friends and family...the hidden benefit is that through involvement at the Club you develop new relationships with like minded people that will ultimately enhance your business life.  This is where the value of our Member Business Directories come into play.  I think I am similar to most people in that I hate getting a "pitch."  One of the things I love about Arrowhead is you can relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of daily life.  There is always easy conversation to be found in the grill or lounge with no hidden agenda or "pitch."  Our directories allow us to know what you do, and when the need for that service arises, all Members know a place to go to see if anyone here provides that service.  I can tell you from the first Mixer we held on November 2nd...there was no annoying pitches, just genuinely interested Members learning about other Members...It was great and I hope you will try to attend the next one if any of the above sounds beneficial to you.

I am more in tune with this than most members in that I have the benefit of quickly meeting our new Members and finding out a little about them: what they like, what they do, etc.  I also have the luxury of doing business with several of our members both for the Club and personally.  Our Members are involved with businesses and companies that provide goods and services that we all need every day. 
One of our very good Members owns Treasures Jewelers and is always willing to help us with certificates or products for some of our private event campaigns.  He actually was very involved with our recent "Book It To Win It" wedding campaign.
Many of you have seen the commitment that Arrowhead Mercedes has made to the Club in supporting events.  Ironically, through that I took my wife's car there for maintenance and ended up buying her a new car.  In my experience of buying automobiles, I can never remember using words like pleasurable, genuinely good experience, not only a fair price but well below what I thought was possible.  My experience at Mercedes of Arrowhead were all of those...a truly a fantastic experience.
One of our very good Members is involved with BJ's Service Center on 51st and Bell.  If you have not been there, you should see this place...they do everything, and I mean everything for your car.  From first hand experience I can tell you they wash, do oil changes, detailing, waxing...probably a lot more.  The really unique thing, their staff is amazing.  The first time I went there for a wash, I was amazed by the staff from the guy who checked me in, the nice lady who cashed me out, to the guy that finished my truck.  The more unique thing, in my subsequent visits, it has been exactly the same.
Got a pet, one of our very good and involved Members is involved with Apollo North Animal Hospitals.  I know several Members already utilize Apollo and it is a great experience for them, but more importantly it is a great experience for their pet.
Home mortgage, when I moved to Glendale, I met and used a Member who is with America Home Key.  I bought my house at a tough time.  By listening to the news I thought it would take about 180 days to close a loan if I was even able to get one with all the banking problems and with Freddie and Fannie in shambles.  I think it was done in less than 25 days and was easy for me...probably was difficult for him to get it done, but I never knew it.

The best thing about the Members I list above, they are all great quality people who I had the opportunity to meet and develop a relationship with at our Club and then support them outside of the Club.  I want us all to know each other better so we can help each other through this tough economic time.  "MB2B" is a great opportunity to get your story known as well.  This leads me to again ask all Members, if you work or are involved with a company, please put two business cards and a short description of what you do in an envelope and mail or drop it off at the receptionist desk to my attention.  I will put you in both our Member Business to Business alphabetical and services directories.  Lastly, if you can make it our next "MB2B" Mixer is on Thursday, November 18 from 5 to 7 pm in the lounge, I can't wait to see you...If not, don't wait to get me your cards and description and hopefully you can make it to the next mixer. 

As I mentioned above, in this public forum I will not use names.  All the people above, you can find them in our Member to Member Business Directory located in the clubhouse reception area.

No comments:

Post a Comment